Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Coop progress + Master Gardener TIP # 3...

OLD CHICK DIGS:

My husband assures me that our big coop would have been completed LONG ago, if not for the uncooperative weather! We're waiting for a spot of sunshine to complete it - I hope there'll be SOME sun and warmth soon, so I can paint it too! Any guesses on our coop theme? Should I start giving out hints?

NEW POULTRY ABODE:

As you can see, the roof trusses are going up, it won't be long now!
So, here is your new MASTER GARDENER TIP # 3...

When transplanting new seedlings or store-bought plants, water them in thoroughly, but DON'T fertilize them yet! Many people make this mistake. Never fertilize a plant when it has had recent "stress", such as transplanting, pruning, drought, etc. Just give them water to shore them up. You can fertilize new transplants after about two weeks (the roots have taken hold by then), I check to see if the leaves are starting to turn a lighter green, which means the plant needs more fertilizer. Remember, it's better to UNDER fertilize, than to burn the plant with too much fertilizer! Good luck gardening!

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.”
- H. Fred Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment